It's been about a month since I posted last. I didn't even realise it had gotten so long since updating my journal. I've just been really busy, and distracted. Methias has been keeping it quiet lately, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Yes there aren't any more deaths or explosions, but what is it exactly that he's up to that takes this much time?
Anyway, to be honest, I haven't been doing that great. 2nd of July was Danulus' Beginday, and then two weeks ago it was his Deathday. I brought another stone to his grave on each of those occasions. You see, in my culture, we don't give flowers. We don't see the presentation of a severed plant organ as a good thing. We give gemstones. My kind have always loved rocks and gems - which is reflected in human history. They are beautiful and have so much more meaning, and last a lot longer. I placed a ruby in his Loshrong (Erg, kinda like... 'ring of life' where you place gemstones in a stone ring around the tombstone to symbolise one's love for the departed's life) and some Calcite for his Dratred (a 'deathbed' which is a bed lain out in front of the tombstone where people place stones of any type on the anniversary of death, but usually they aren't gemstones...so raw, not cut and polished, to represent their mourning for the departed. At the funeral each member places one of a simple stone, like granite or bluestone, in a rectangle at the bottom forming the outline for the bed). But this is irrelevant.
We went on a holiday for 5 days though... on a tropical isle. A nice change from the dreary sights of the UK. An uninhabited one, since it's too far out for humans to travel to to be worth their time. So we got to spend most of it in natural form. It was great - Alastor taught Arthur how to surf, while Julian slept on the sand. I enjoyed just being a dragon again... swimming, lazing about...it was a good holiday.
But of course we had to return to reality. We came back and, i don't know why we didn't think about this before, looked into whether or not the IT guy had a partner. Not a mate, but a working colleague. Turns out he did, one that lived in Bury St Edmunds. They were a little shocked to see us, and still accepting the loss of their friend, but they were helpful. We asked if she had any duplicates of his harddrive, or of the information he was working on. She had a copy of information from about a month ago, so only a week or so before he died. It wasn't extremely recent, but it was something.
Upon looking, it was actually a programme. Mostly just a programme he'd been working on with the woman's help (since she was a robotics engineer), to run robotic equipment. Not quite AI, but a sophisticated programme to allow great functionality of some kind of machinery. None of us being engineers, we can't tell what kind of robot it would program, but Tharis (our computer) is cross-referencing it now for us. She said that she wasn't sure what it was, since it was so different to the copy she received from a harddrive sync a week's prior. That makes me think Methias got to him, made him make something and then destroyed the evidence.
I'm not sure of a connection, but there'd have to be one between this programming and the server bombs.
My thoughts are with you, Wedge. I was going to place a stone with you, but I thought you needed some space. You really miss him, don't you?
ReplyDeleteAlso did you get that composition report I sent?
Thanks Alastor. I do.
DeleteAnd yes, I got it. I read through it but nothing out of the ordinary struck me about it (other than you know, the obvious) so I just filed it. I forgot to mention it to you beacuse of this latest case. As I said to Julian, come back to Nine and we'll go through everything and see what to do next.